Welcome to a new blog series that our newest Kindred team member Lily will be penning for us each month. With a background in nutrition, Lily knows that getting your skin to glow is just as much about what you put in your body as what you apply to your skin. And with that in mind, welcome to Lily's first recipe that you can try at home to help keep you nourished inside and out.
Lily says, "This salad is the perfect balance of healthy fats, antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals needed for healthy glowing skin. And it is a great salad for work lunches or at home on the weekend if you're having friends around - perfect for the warmer weather we're having, too!"
Glowing Skin Salad
- 2 handfuls of organic salad mix (this one was a combination of mizuna, tatsoi, chard)
- 1 handful blueberries
- ½ diced avocado
- Small handful of chopped cucumber
- Cooked sustainably caught salmon (either canned or fillet)
- Small handful pumpkin seeds
- Handful of pea sprouts
- 1 tbsp sauerkraut
- Dress with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Why this is a great salad combo?
- Avocado is rich in vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that protects the skin against free radical damage.
- Salmon is a lean source of protein rich in omega 3 fatty acids, it is anti-inflammatory and helps to keep the skin supple and dewy
- Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of zinc. Zinc plays a massive role in our immune system and wound healing, helping to repair cells efficiently
- Blueberries are rich in anthocyanins - an antioxidant compound that gives them the dark blue/purple colour. Blueberries protect against oxidative stress, working to eliminate free radicals from the skin
- Sauerkraut is our gut loving, fermented cabbage. When made with red/purple cabbage, it also contains anthocyanins – increasing antioxidant status as well as providing the gut with probiotic bacteria for a happy healthy tummy.
- Lemon is a potent source of vitamin C, it stimulates the production of collagen, and increases the absorption of iron – hello healthy glowing oxygenated skin!