It is that time of year when we start planning the plate we're going to bring to Christmas lunch and I think this spicy prawn lettuce cup is a winner. As well as being easy to prepare, it is fresh, tasty and healthy!
I'd love to know what you think and if this gets the thumbs up from your family this holiday season.
Spicy prawn lettuce cups
- Spray-free cos lettuce washed & separated into cups (3 per person – 12 total)
- 3 avocados sliced into bite-sized cubes
- Washed & shredded red cabbage
- 280-300g prawns (4 per lettuce cup)
- Lime sliced into quarters
- 1 Tsp peri-peri seasoning (this one was from the farmers markets and had chilli, garlic & parsley)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
In a frying pan, heat olive oil on a low-medium heat and cook prawns until completely cooked. Add in peri-peri seasoning and mix through – you can add more seasoning if you prefer a spicier flavour. Arrange lettuce cups onto plates or one large platter, and in each cup add ½ handful of red cabbage, ¼ of sliced avocado, 4 prawns and top with chopped coriander. Serve with wedge of lime.
Why I love this dish:
This meal is a great way to spice up a typical Christmas lunch! It is lightweight yet filling, loaded with protein, fibre and fat to keep you feeling satisfied.
- Prawns are a rich source of zinc, essential for healthy skin cell structure and optimal functioning of the skin
- Avocados contain monounsaturated fatty acids, B vitamins, vitamin E and fibre
- Coriander is blood purifying and helps to detoxify the body from heavy metals & toxins
- Lime is rich in vitamin C, potent antioxidant necessary for the production of collagen and elastin and strengthening the immune system
- Red cabbage is rich in anthocyanins that give it the beautiful purple pigment, increasing its antioxidant properties that provide cardiovascular protection and promoting healthy red blood cells.
Note: If you want to fill these cups with a few more veggies, try adding some diced up tomato, red onion & corn for a beautiful combination of fresh flavours.